Store Everything Business Data LakePosted on October 12, 2014 by TheStorageChap in Big Data and Analytics, Data Lake
1. Most organisations have Enterprise Data Warehouses built around a structured database platform where data is held in neat, tidy, tables and rows that are easily searchable.
2. Now the benefits of Big Data and Analytics are being realised by organisations large and small.
3. But the very nature and size of the unstructured data means that putting it inside existing platforms does not make commercial sense.
4. So Hadoop was born out of a need to store and analyse massive amounts of unstructured data and was designed to work with commodity off the shelf hardware.
5. But Hadoop itself bought it’s own set of challenges in regard to the storage cost and license cost of Enterprise ready distributions of Hadoop.
6. And so early adopters began to look at enterprise grade, Hadoop ready, storage alternatives, such as EMC Isilon.
7. But others looked for Public Cloud alternatives which offered simplified, cost effective options for Hadoop storage, better suited to storing billions of small files from sensor data and the Internet of Things.
8. But even these solutions had challenges in regard to flexibility, cost and regulations concerning data privacy and residency.
9. What those organisations really need is a global repository that can support Exabytes of data, with better than Public Cloud economics, partnered with enterprise licensing and support for Hadoop that is not dependent upon the capacity being stored.
10. Welcome to EMC’s Elastic Cloud Storage in conjunction with Pivotal HD. A Store Everything Business Data Lake Repository.